MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES
Head Start collaborates with parents by:
- Obtaining parental information, observations, and concerns about their child’s mental health.
- Sharing staff observations of their child and discussing child’s behavior and development, including separation and attachment issues.
- Discussing appropriate responses to their child’s behavior.
- Discussing how to strengthen and nurture a supportive environment in the home and in the program.
- Help parents to better understand mental health issues.
- Support parents’ participation in any needed mental health interventions.
The Head Start program contracts services with licensed mental health consultants and they assist in:
- Coordination of mental health services for children.
- Providing teachers with suggestions to work on children’s behavior and emotional needs.
- Individual child observations arranged with written parental consent.
- Helping parents locate mental health resources for concerns about a child.
- Parent training on mental health or behavior support for young children.
For more information on mental health services, please ask your child’s teacher or support specialist.