MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES IN EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION
Head Start collaborates with parents by:
- Obtaining parental information, observations, and concerns about their child’s mental health.
- Sharing staff observations of their child and discussing child’s behavior and development, including separation and attachment issues.
- Discussing appropriate responses to their child’s behavior.
- Discussing how to strengthen and nurture a supportive environment in the home and in the program.
- Help parents to better understand mental health issues.
- Support parents’ participation in any needed mental health interventions.
The Head Start program contracts services with licensed mental health consultants and they assist in:
- Coordination of mental health services for children.
- Providing teachers with suggestions to work on children’s behavior and emotional needs.
- Individual child observations arranged with written parental consent.
- Helping parents locate mental health resources for concerns about a child.
- Parent training on mental health or behavior support for young children.
For more information on mental health services, please ask your child’s teacher or support specialist.
Serving Northwest Indiana, Geminus supports programs and facilities in Lake and Porter Counties, including Cedar Lake, East Chicago, Gary, Hammond, Highland, Hobart, Lake Station, Merrillville and Valparaiso.
Our community health center network welcomes Indiana residents of all ages and income levels with fully integrated, streamlined services.