SAFETY & TRANSPORTATION
To ensure the safety and well-being of each child present in our program, the following guidelines are followed:
- Children are always supervised – children are never left alone.
- Anyone removing a child from our program must be authorized on the Emergency Information form.
- Head Start staff will check this list and ask to see a picture ID.
- Staff have immediate access at all times to a working telephone.
- Both fire and tornado drills are held once a month.
- Classroom evacuation plans for fire, tornado, and other emergencies are posted on the parent board; a medical and dental emergency plan is also posted in each classroom.
- Equipment maintenance is ongoing. Items that need repair are removed immediately.
- There is always CPR and First Aid trained staff on site.
- All medications are kept in locked containers when on site.
- All unsafe chemicals are stored in locked cabinets.
- An incident report is completed and sent home the same day a child is injured.
- Staff will distribute a communicable disease notice to families within 24 hours of call documented exposures.
If a child receives transportation services, before they can ride on a Head Start bus, the parent must attend and complete bus safety orientation. In addition all children receiving transportation services will have bus safety training three (3) times a year.
Occasionally a child transported by bus must be returned to his or her Head Start site because there was no authorized person available to receive the child at the designated drop off point. Or a child may not be picked up by the designated time at their Head Start site. In these instances each site has established procedures to have personnel remain with the child for a specified period of time. The parent/guardian will be contacted. If however, the parent/guardian does not arrive in the specified time, child protection authorities will be contacted.
Serving Northwest Indiana, Geminus supports programs and facilities in Lake and Porter Counties, including Cedar Lake, East Chicago, Gary, Hammond, Highland, Hobart, Lake Station, Merrillville and Valparaiso.
Our community health center network welcomes Indiana residents of all ages and income levels with fully integrated, streamlined services.