Lake County Tobacco Prevention and Cessation Coalition
LAKE COUNTY TOBACCO PREVENTION
AND CESSATION COALITION
Let’s Change the world for the Better
Tobacco use costs Hoosiers 10,300 lives and 1.6 billion dollars each year— the fourth highest adult smoking rate in the United States. And we have the eighth lowest tax on cigarettes. But it doesn’t have to be this way. We can fight tobacco use in Indiana. With funding from the Master Tobacco Settlement Agreement, the Lake County Tobacco Prevention and Cessation Coalition is working to:
You Can Regain Your Right to Breathe Smoke Free
- Prevent the start of tobacco use among our youth through VOICE Advocacy Program.
- Enable tobacco users to participate in cessation programs with physicians & other medical professionals.
- Protect people from exposure to secondhand smoke
- Increase public support for the control of tobacco products
- Cut minority health disparities related to tobacco use
- Reduce tobacco use by minorities, pregnant women, and other at-risk populations
The Lake County Tobacco Prevention and Cessation Coalition consists of more than thirty organizations working together to curb the harmful effects of tobacco use in our communities.
Our goal is to make non-smoking the norm for youth and adults in Lake County.
We’re Funding Evidence-Based Prevention Strategies
Geminus Corporation was selected to be the lead agency in administering the tobacco settlement funds made available from the Indiana Tobacco Prevention and Cessation Trust Fund Executive Board. This money is being applied to four priority areas—prevention, cessation, capacity building, and the elimination of environmental tobacco smoke— and has helped in the fight against the use of tobacco products. In everything we do, we take an evidence-based approach, so we know that the programming will be effective. Strategies and programs have been tried and tested and have worked time and again.
We’re Working Throughout Lake County
Since 2001, we’ve already funded more than 30 different community-based partnerships designed to help eliminate tobacco use. In addition, we have partnered with the Lake County Sheriff ’s department to complete Lake County compliance inspections, St. Anthony’s Hospital; Munster Community Hospital; St. Margaret and other health care facilities throughout Lake County & various physician practitioners.
Please Join Us in Helping Clear the Air
We invite you to confront tobacco use in your businesses and homes. Here are some of the things you can do:
- Promote tobacco-free workplaces and healthier personal choices among your employees and patrons
- Encourage those who wish to quit by making the appropriate referrals to resources to counter tobacco use (we can point you in the right direction)
- Assist young people in understanding the implications of using tobacco and make sure that tobacco is not used around children.
visit www.tobaccotalk.info for more information or please contact:
219) 757-1866 (Phone)
(219) 757-1856 (Fax)